Our guide to our fees for Probate and administration of estates
Losing a loved one can be one of the most stressful and upsetting times for anyone. We pride oursevles on our empathy and professionalism in how we deal with often sensitive issues at this difficult time.
The timescales for estate administration matters range typically from 6 to 12 months, dependant on factors such as the type and amount of assets and liabilities; whether a Grant of Representation is required; whether the estate is subject to inheritance tax and whether the estate includes a property. If the estate is particularly complicated, the matter may take longer to conclude. Examples of more complex matters would include estates involving claims for Agricultural Property Relief (‘APR’), Business Property Relief (‘BPR’) and Residence Nil Rate Band (‘RNRB’).
“Everything was explained well to me and my family at a very difficult time, with care and sympathy.”
The price for dealing with an estate administration matter for an uncontested estate with all of the assets in the UK typically range from £1,000 to £15,000 and are exclusive of VAT dependant on a number of factors including:
- Whether you require ad hoc advice and assistance only where we would charge for the time we spent advising and assisting, but you would carry out the majority of the work required
- Whether a Grant of Representation is required, or whether matters can be dealt with under the Small Estates Procedure.
- Whether you will need all preparation and drafting of required documents to be undertaken by Harrisons.
- The number of assets and liabilities of the estate.
- Whether claims for APR, BPR and/or RNRB apply.
Once the Executors have provided details of the estate assets and liabilities, Harrisons can rovide a bespoke costs estimate in the very early stages of the estate administration. We also regularly review the costs and keep you informed if the original costs estimate needs any revision, and if it does, why.
“Professional, kind, efficient and sympathetic too!”
The hourly rates that apply to the individuals conducting the work are:
- Trainee Solicitor / Trainee Paralegal £90 & vat per hour
- Paralegal £125 & vat per hour
- Legal Executive £150 & vat per hour
- Senior Legal Executive with over 4 years experience £150 & vat per hour
- Solicitor with between 0-4 year post qualification experience £160 & vat
- Senior Solicitor with between 4-8 years post qualification experience £175 & vat
- Senior Solicitor with over 8 years post qualification experience £195 & vat
Harrisons also generally issue the first interim bill only once the Grant of Representation has been issued, and the assets can be realised to settle liabilities. Thereafter, we generally issue monthly bills so that you can keep a track on costs as they are incurred.
Our price does not include external costs associated with an estate administration matter, such as the probate court fees; publication of statutory notices and valuation fees. The price for dealing with the estate administration matter does not include any conveyancing fees for the sale/assent of any property within the estate. These are charged for separately by the Property Department.
To receive your free, no obligation estimate please call us on 01938 552 545 (Welshpool) or complete our free online enquiry.