If you are the landlord of a residential property, you now need to arrange an electrical safety test every five years.

This safety test must be carried out by a qualified electrician who should provide a report of their findings. You must give a copy of the report to the tenant within 28 days, and keep a copy on file until the next inspection. 

If the report recommends any remedial works, you must ensure they are carried out within 28 days of the date of inspection, then arrange an updated report. The updated report should be given to the tenant within 28 days and a copy kept on file. 

The new regulation applies if you let a property under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, Assured Tenancy or Rent Act tenancy. It also applies if you let a farmhouse under the Agricultural Holdings Act (AHA) or Agricultural Tenancies Act (FBT). 

What this means to you 

If you own more than one residential property, you might want to start booking the electrical inspections now, so all your existing properties are compliant by the deadline. 

In addition to complying with the new regulations, it’s also good practice to arrange a visual electrical safety test between each change of tenants. 

Key dates

For advice about anything to do with residential property and the law, please give us a call.